Friday, October 9, 2009

There’s a meaning to the world, we’re givin love

In a city that moves unbelievably fast, sometimes we just need to slow down and smell the roses. Subways screech past me as I squint my eyes closed to avoid the dry air and dirt, workmen push heavy carts laden with clinking wine glasses, pushy nannies weave strollers between packed sidewalks and important businessmen hustle past those who are getting in the way of their extremely important meetings or corporate happy-hours. I too, have adjusted to moving at this pace. I now take breakfast on the go which consists of fruit yogurt and granola in a paper cup and leave my clothes strewn about my room from the morning’s dilemma of choosing an outfit. I was definitely going to make the 2 downtown, but as I hurried past a homeless man huddled in old blankets with a Bible in his lap I couldn’t resist stopping to give him the other half of my bagel. It took all of three seconds, but in that moment, everything slowed down. With his simple ‘thank you’ I was off again. This world is constantly moving…the circumference of the Earth at the equator is 25,000 miles. The Earth rotates in about 24 hours. Therefore, if you were to hang above the surface of the Earth at the equator without moving, you would see 25,000 miles pass by in 24 hours, at a speed of 25000/24 or just over 1038 miles per hour. We are always moving...but sometimes, we can find the greatest rest in just slowing down and paying a little bit more attention to those around us…

No comments: